Saturday 23 March 2013

Outfit Review: Molly's Polka-Dot Outfit

I've always been a huge fan of Molly. I think she is one of the most underappreciate, overlooked doll in American Girl. I find it so sad when I see little girls going past her and walking towards shiny, new Caroline. Although my Mattel Molly does not wear her glasses, I have left my white-bodied Molly in her original meet, glasses, braids and shoes.

After hearing rumours of Molly's archival, I decided I needed to focus on her collection. I started with a few of her outfits that I knew was overlooked by a lot of people. For some odd reason, I don't see her Polka-Dot outfit all that often in doll collector pictures, but it is such an adorable outfit on her!

Molly doing her best model pose! Look at her work it!


Colors:
Looking at this outfit, it is such a departure from her dark colored meet outfit of blue! This turquoise (I think) outfit, although it says aqua on the American Girl wikia site, is adorable on her. The color suits Molly's hair color and because I think her gray eyes has a touch of green, the turquoise color on the outfit brings out her eyes.

See how lively her eyes are from the outfit?! Gosh this outfit really brings Molly to life!

Details:
This outfit may look much more plain than Cecile's outfit, however it has its own detailed work. The peter pan collar with its lace trimming is one of my favorite parts of the outfit. It brings out the dress in so many ways. There is a con to this peter pan collar, I find the lace isn't well defined or has very detailed - I could understand why. At 1944, this would probably be one of Molly's special outfits - it has enough detail to be special but not too much to be ostentatious.

The lace button in the middle of the outfit breaks up the outfit and causes an interest in the top part of the outfit. The polka-dot would have overpowered the dress without a break up of buttons and lace in the middle of that oufit!



The back of the dress is just as surprising. From the front of the dress, one would never guess that there is a bow at the back of the dress! All you see in the front that would clue you in that there is something there is the white detail at the waist.

This is one of my favorite parts of the dress, it really cinches Molly's waist in!

It is fastened in the back by the bow and velcro. I am not a fan of velcro because the doll's hair always gets caught in it if you aren't careful. I always put their hair aside to make sure the hair does not catch at the velcro.

I've always had a weakness for shoes, even doll shoes. And my favorite outfits always come the best shoes and this isn't an exception! I think it is a breath of fresh air when my doll's outfits come with shoes. This outfit comes with white patent leather-like shoes with punch-out details. It also comes with the white shoes shown in that picture. I just love shoes and these shoes are so versatile! I can't wait to use it for other outfits!


Overall Impressions:

I like this outfit well enough. It isn't the most extravagant outfit, but I find most of Molly's collection isn't. However the details on this outfit really caught my eye. With Molly's rumored archival, I wanted to make sure I get outfits for her that no one else seem to think to get. This outfit is beautiful and suits her skin tone, hair color and eye color perfectly. At $28 USD, I wouldn't hesitate getting this outfit especially since it is a complete outfit that comes with shoes!






No comments:

Post a Comment